About Road Safety GB
Road Safety GB is a national road safety organisation that includes representatives from groups across the UK, such as local government road safety teams.
Road Safety GB aims to reduce the number and severity of road collisions (and therefore to reduce loss of life and personal injury) by raising awareness of road safety and safer road user behaviour with the road using public, through the provision of training, advice, information, leadership, research, publicity, informed comment and other services to relevant bodies (national and local) and to its members.
Road Safety GB works to develop a range of educational initiatives; many in partnership with other organisations and all widely publicised to encourage the national debate on road safety. Road Safety GB aims to inform public opinion by making available more information on the subject, working with other organisations to achieve shared goals.
These goals include:
• Advising and lobbying government and contributing to consultation on road safety policy; identification of achievable national targets.
• Providing members with information on national and international road safety and related issues.
• Seeking national recognition for road safety issues, particularly where there may be conflict with current/projected Government policies and programmes.
• Encouraging the adoption of common policies and promotion of best practice by member authorities and other like-minded organisations involved in road casualty reduction.
• Providing opportunities for working in partnership with local communities and the private sector to achieve active community engagement, promotion of education and health matters and best value, particularly in commissioning and producing resources.
• Encouraging commerce and industry to address casualty reduction through work based policies and initiatives for employees.
• Commissioning and contributing to research into the behavioural aspects of road crashes.
• Working with the media to provide expert knowledge and advice.
• Publishing documents that identify and promote best practice.
• Providing a forum for sharing ideas and programmes.
• Working with other organisations, communities and government to develop national road safety campaigns.
Road Safety GB regional groups
Road Safety GB members work together in 12 regional groups across the UK. The section on this website called 'Your local area' provides information about each region and contact details for road safety teams in each area.
Chairpersons since 2000
2013 - present Honor Byford, North Yorkshire County Council
2009 - 2013 Alan Kennedy, Durham County Council
2007 - 2009 Malcolm Burns, Wiltshire County Council
2005 - 2007 Simon Ettinghausen, London Borough of Bexley
2003 - 2005 Steve Whitehouse, Sefton MBC
2000 - 2003 Wendy Broome, Hertfordshire County Council
Company Name: RSGB Limited.
Company No. 8405185.
The company is limited by guarantee.
Registered within England.
Registered address: The Thatched Barn, Low Road, Wortham, Diss, Norfolk IP22 1SH.
Registered Charity No. 1153231